Stainless Steel Vs Cast Iron plate and grill, What the Best ?
Stainless Steel BBQ Grill vs Cast Iron Plate and Grill
When it comes to cooking surfaces, cast iron and stainless steel are the most popular for the outdoor BBQ. They both have their own advantages and while the quality of all BBQ Plates and Grills are not the same, some basic truths ring true in most cases.
- Cast Iron retains heat better and tends to give a more even heat across the cooking surface and less hot and cold spots. (Many premium BBQ's have the burners under the plates position to enable an even cook regardless of plate type).Good Stainless Steel will last a lot longer than cast iron
- In most cases Stainless Steel is easier to clean, but it is important to note that once the plate is seasoned (and you want a seasoned plate for better cooking performance) it never has that new stainless steel look.
- Cast iron is porous and takes on the flavours of the food whereas Stainless Steel does not. Many people who cook a lot of seafood prefer stainless steel for this reason.
- Many brands make a cast iron plate that can be reversible, giving you a hot plate and a griddle plate on the other side.
- Cast iron is normally the cheaper option.